Friday, February 6, 2009

An introduction to menacing pickle

A menacing pickle is something silly. Something carefree. Something imaginative and creative. Something that never fails to make me giggle and reminds me that no matter where I am and no matter what I’m doing, there’s always room to step back and just have fun. Something that gives me a unique perspective. Something that reminds me that just even though the most direct way from point A to point B is a straight line, going that way is just not enough fun.

Of course, it doesn’t hurt that among my favorite foods, the pickle almost always ranks near the top, along with olives, sushi, and artichoke dip.

Everyone has an inner menacing pickle. And setting mine free was one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself. You can see the results all around you!

And now, the (brief) story of me.

Once upon a time, there was a costume designer. She did lots of neat, fancy outfits for a variety of theater and film productions, but always secretly wondered why all the cool fabrics and silly patterns she encountered on a daily basis weren’t being used in a way that everyone could appreciate, especially children. But she continued to create her costumes in the kingdom, dreaming of something bigger, better, and a lot more fun.

There just so happened to be a terrible curse upon the children of the kingdom, one that required that all kids, no matter how silly and full of giggles, must wear jackets that were drab. Jackets that were plain. Jackets that were boring. Jackets that just had no personality. And the children were sad.

Then one day, the costume designer realized that she had all sorts of neat-o fabrics stored up, and no grown-up outfits left to create. She turned to one sad little girl and said “Young child, if you could have a jacket, any jacket at all, what kind of jacket would it be?”

And the little girl’s eyes lit up, shining brighter than the sun! Before she could answer, another child appeared, and another, and another, and even more! They all told the costume designer about their wants and dreams, who began to work immediately on a new line of clothing, one inspired by children, for children.

“I want kitties on my jacket!”
“Make mine with fire trucks!”
“Can I get one with burgers?”
“Ooh, I love pizza. Can I get one like that?”

As the costume designer excitedly finished each jacket, she passed her creation on to the child, who put on their new outerwear with giggles and delight, thus breaking the curse and allowing everyone in the kingdom to live happily ever after.

In addition to making clothing I love coming up with activities to entertain my friend's children. I haven't had any children of my own yet so I am the one who occupies my friend's kids when they need to put themselves in time out and get a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment